Fruit flies can be so annoying, and you may be wondering what are these small organisms invading your kitchen. Fruit flies are the tiny, yellowish insects that are part of a large family of small flies that make up about 3000 species.
Fruit flies differ from houseflies as they are harmless and do not spread diseases. They can exist and breed in garbage cans, drains or on damp rags.
Fruit flies lay their eggs near the surface of ripe fruits. Within a few hours, a tiny larvae emerges and starts feeding on the fruit.
Fruit flies are unwelcome guests in our homes and tend to overstay and even beat you to the fruit bowl. So how do you get rid of them?
Effective Ways of Getting Rid of Fruit Flies
There are varied ways that you can employ and get rid of fruit flies. Don’t give up and let fruit flies take over. Keep them away in several simple ways:
Trap fruit flies with a paper funnel
Using this method, there are a few things that you have to do for your trap to work;
- Choose a tall jar, wine bottle or old soda bottle to work as the base of your trap
- Add you bait- Should be anything sugary to attract fruit flies.
- Roll a piece of paper and put it on the jar or a bottle you are using.
- Set you trap in an area infested by fruit flies, it can be near kitchen sink, fruit bowl or garbage. On the next day, you will find a swarm of fruit flies attacking the bait.
- Kill the confined fruit flies by pouring warm water and dish soap into the jar. Once all the fruit flies have drown, discard the contents and keep the jar in a safe place for future use.
Fruit flies reproduce quickly and you will have to repeat this process several times to fully get rid of them.
Trap fruit flies using bowl traps
Here, you have to get a large or medium bowl and attract the fruit flies into the trap. Add a sweet bait and consider the quantity of the bait. Helpful sweet baits include;
- Rotting fruit such as banana or orange, white wine, coriander seeds, or a mixture of honey, sugar and vinegar.
Tightly cover the blow trap with plastic wrap. Then, thrust numerous holes using a fork in the plastic wrap to attract fruit flies to the bait.
Set the trap in a fruit flies infested area in the house and leave it overnight. Kill the trapped fruit flies by pouring warm water and dish soap into the trap bowl.
Wait for a few minutes and then throw away the trapped fruit flies. Rinse the bowl with hot water and keep it in a safe place as you may reuse it the next day.
Kill fruit flies using sprays and other helpful products.
There are effective sprays and other products that you can use to get rid of fruit flies. However, you may not know which spray is effective.
You can also make your own fruit flies spray using about 70 percent of rubbing alcohol and kill these insects. You can also increase the percentage of alcohol and spray in the air and saturate any fruit flies eggs.
If the fruit flies are uncontrollable and all homemade methods are not working, try professional-grade methods. Seek help from a pest control company and learn more in the process.
Get rid of the fruit flies eggs.
Fruit flies eggs can be found in;
- Bags of aging fruits
- Garbage in the kitchen
- Kitchen sinks and
- Damp mops.
When you have a fruit fly problem in your home, store any produce that attracts these insects carefully. Keep fruits in refrigerators or closed brown bags.
Don’t throw away fruits leftovers in the dustbin. Always wash your waste containers and throw away potential bleeding sources.
How to Keep Fruit Flies Away- Simple Ways to Trust
Fruit flies can be a challenge to get rid of especially if you don’t have any effective methods at your fingertips. But you can keep them away and never to return to your home by;
- Inspecting all fruits that you bring home
- Keeping trap jars or bowls in your kitchen
- Using screens to cover your windows and doors
- Dealing with outdoor fruit flies attractants as well as
- Frightening fruit flies with essential oils such as lemongrass, peppermint and eucalyptus.
You should stop worrying on how to get rid of fruit flies. You can make your own or buy fruit flies traps in the market. It should not be a daunting task as there are helpful insecticides to trust. Keep your kitchen clean all the time and you will keep this troublesome insects away.